In case you haven't heard... the Great Minnesota Get-Together is here and now! And while we love the idea of washing down a bucket of chocolate chip cookies with some milk, we also don't want to completely ditch our fitness progress. So, your Crew is offering some tips on navigating the State Fair food scene for some fun and healthy treats.
First thing's first, you gotta have a game plan! If you're heading to the State Fair this weekend, the weRow Crew is going to help you navigate the best foods to eat and some pro tips for not going overboard. Above all, though, the aim is to have fun at the State Fair and treat yo' self! So, here we go...
PRE-FAIR GAME PLAN
- Find a buddy – head to the State Fair with a friend or three to help you devour your favorite treats. Most of the serving sizes are VERY generous, so sharing with a few friends gives you each a taste without feeling like you overindulged.
- Plan your visit – do a bit of research and pick the top 3 foods you want to try. With a game plan, you can enter the State Fair determined and focused.
- H2O – Keep hydrated and you’ll thank yourself later. Drinking water will keep you fuller longer and keep you away from unnecessary sugary drinks.
- Corn on the Cob without the butter - only the BEST found at the Corn Roast by the Big Yellow Slide
- Steak, Chicken or Bison kabobs - find them at Minnekabob in the Food Building
- Salmon-on-a-stick - hell yes! Find this glorious treat at Giggles Campfire Grill, at The North Woods
- Peel n Eat Shrimp - never had shrimp at the fair? Try this treat from Cafe Caribe, south side of Carnes Ave.
- Olives on a stick - everything but the martini, find these at St. Martin's Olives in the International Bazaar
- Cinnamon Roasted Nuts - great source of protein with a little sweetness, found in the International Bazaar
- Pickle on a stick - seriously, everything is on a stick nowadays. Find this at Pickle Dog, Southside of Carnes Ave.
- Pina Colada - this baby is the best vegan smoothie at the fair, made with coconut milk and pineapple juice - find it at Manny's Tortas in the food building
- Cheese curds from Mousetrap, a strawberry shake from the Dairy Barn, & pronto pups - Matt
- Footlong corn dog, ftw! - Katie
- Anything covered in chocolate from Ultimate Confections, and fried pickles - Sarah
- French fries & Sweet Martha's cookies - Jason